Killing the gerrit to dev-list spam ...

Thorsten Behrens thb at documentfoundation.org
Fri May 3 03:40:42 PDT 2013

Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
> On Fri, May 03, 2013 at 12:16:51AM +0200, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
> > And then people will cross-post,
>
> Why? I dont see anyone posting to the gerrit list directly at
> all. If you want you comment on that do it in a comment on gerrit
> (send via email or whatever).  This is what people are doing right
> now -- I rarely see someone to reply on a a gerrit mail on the
> dev-list (and that is a Good Thing as replying on the dev-list keeps
> the stuff invisible on gerrit).

Ok - but then I see even less reason for another list, if it is
read-only. Gerrit already lets me get email for any number of events,
with filters & all. So if additional action is necessary anyway -
which subscribing to a 2nd list is - why not suggest to everyone
interested to customize his or her own private gerrit firehose?

> The folks on the dev-list are already missing more than half of the
> discussion as as Lionel notes the mailing list does not get the
> comments -- which it where almost ~all the interesting stuff
> happens. So the firehose we have right now is sprinkling you enough
> to get wet, but not enough to get clean.

Sure. But it seems people appreciate the occasional email poke about
new patches - why else was there the suggestion to have a daily digest
from the gerrit list?

> Subscribing a second list is not a lot of effort -- probably a lot
> less effort than the custom filtering ~everyone is doing right now,
> while still having to poll gerrit to see the comments (which are the
> relevant bits).

I'm with you that the current situation leaves something to be
desired. I just disagree with the proposed solution, which in my mind
does not help anyone with deeper interest in LibreOffice hacking -
they'd have to subscribe to two lists, get even more email, and need
even more filtering to stay afloat.

To keep this constructive, my alternative proposal would be:

 - cut down current gerrit email somewhat, to an acceptable level
   * it seems there is ~consensus that at least new patches should be
     notified to the list
 - educate folks on how to make use of gerrit's Watch / Notification
   feature - it should be possible to get the equivalent of the
   proposed new list setup individually, no?
 - encourage to have larger discussions on the dev list - hackers
   watching such a discussion on gerrit could simply fwd the
   notification email to the dev-list. That hopefully prevents the
   'oh, decision $foo happened on that other list' argument, and
   ghettoization into pro-hackers and volunteer hackers lists.

Cheers,

-- Thorsten