LibreOffice-SDK for MinGW

Helmar Spangenberg hspangenberg at frey.de
Tue May 7 03:37:16 PDT 2013

Hi Joachim!

Am Montag, 6. Mai 2013, 14:50:45 schrieb Joachim Langenbach:
> Dear Helmar and Kendy,
>
> I'm also trying to build the LibreOffice SDK with MinGW. Goal is to connect an
> application compiled with MinGW to LibreOffice on Windows, Linux and may be
> other platforms. Since my attampts to cross compile LibreOffice are not very
> successfully, I have two questions, before investing more time in that.

In case youare interested I can submit my MinGW development environment for LO --- the office
as stand-alone "beast" seems to work pretty well with some adjustments in the code (at
least as far I was able to test it...). Please contact me directly on my e-mail account, I think
there is too much code to be transferred via the list...

Difficulties arise as soon as the UNO-environment contacts the office and tries to get information
with regards to services and interfaces. To be very cautious: I have the feeling that the information
submitted by the office is correct, but somehow allocated memory in the UNO bridge seems to get
corrupted (under very special circumstances I was able to remote control the office to create a
new document...). Since the UNO-bridge is based on several threads my guess is that there is a
problem with thread-safe use of shared memory. Unfortunately, at the moment I am bound with a
money earning project, so my time for this issue is rather limited. However, I definitely will help in
any possible way to solve this problem.

> > So far the MinGW build is still a very experimental thing; I mostly use
> > that when I develop something Windows-only because I can still keep my
> > workflow, but as the binaries built with the MinGW SDK will be
> > incompatible with the LibreOffice release builds, I am not sure it makes
> > much sense to invest effort in that at this stage.
>
> Does it mean, that an application linked against the MinGW SDK, could not
> connect to a MSVC standard libreoffice installation?

Well, I use a 2 years old SDK (MinGW) which is able to connect to an off-the-shelf MS-LibreOffice.
Sure, there are some shortcomings (not all event listeners work properly), but for my application
it is sufficient.

> And second, what are the alternatives of using the SDK to connect to LibreOffce
> (if an compiler switch to MSVC is not wanted)? Ole connection may be used, but
> ole is not platform independent (or is it available under linux or MacOS?).

SDK and Linux is a dream - it simply works.
SDK and Windows is not so easy (I have problems to compile the SDK stuff under MSVC - however
my MSVC knowledge is rather small; I definitely would prefer MinGW).
A (Mac-addicted) colleague told me that the SDK for MacOS available half a year ago only contained
code for 32-Bit Macs, which does not work with recent 64-Bit machines/os'es. I don't know the actual
situation with regards to that issue, but I would expect that using the correct wordlength the MacOS-SDK
should be comparable to the Linux version.

Best wishes,
Helmar