SolarMutex: please educate me

Noel Grandin noel at peralex.com
Wed May 15 04:56:45 PDT 2013

On 2013-05-15 13:10, Stephan Bergmann wrote:

> Sure, as I already wrote: "all GUI frameworks have settled on 'confine
> relevant code to run in a single event-loop thread' instead" for a
> reason.  However, doing that change is an endeavor far from trivial...

Perhaps one approach would be
(a) define a special configure flag --find-bad-ui-threadingg
(b) when compiled in that mode, change the SolarMutex code so that it
whinges loudly if acquired from outside the event thread
(c) create a MediumHack which says
       Calll configure with --find-bad-ui-threading.
       Run LO
       Fix places which are calling back into the event thread to use
code like XXXX::pushToEventLoop(.....)

That way, people of medium C++ skill could gradually chip away at the
problem.

Regards, Noel.