[Libreoffice-qa] QA on - experimental features in 4.1 ...

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Wed May 22 03:07:14 PDT 2013

Hi Stuart,

On Tue, 2013-05-21 at 15:11 +0000, V Stuart Foote wrote:
> And, unless I am really misreading the git logs, has been included
> in the libreoffice-4-1 branch

	Glad someone's watching the logs :-)

> So while it is too soon for the 4.1 tinderboxes to verify that

	It seems pretty clear that this feature is not yet ready; so it is
currently setup like this:

	+ you need to enable an experimental option in 'Advanced'
	+ you have to re-start the app after toggling that
	+ then you need to turn it on in the View menu ;-)

	So - as with other experimental features, this is a preview. It's not
something we need to invest much, if any amount of QA effort into - I
anticipate all manner of problems with it. In general, I think we should
be focusing any manual QA we have on the default setup - interop.
issues, file format updates, bug changes, the Java wizard port, and/or
any other of the major features that people listed so far here:

	http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/4.1

	We have a lot of useful new features that will get wider exposure
there. My expectation is that we'll continue to do fixes and
improvements on the sidebar past the freeze date, and it will be
available as a demo / proof-of-concept for the adventurous. There are
lots of discussion about how to properly integrate the feature into the
LibreOffice UI in a way that makes sense that havn't happened yet.
Hopefully having it as an experimental feature enables -some- of that
discussion to start.

	*But* - personally, I'd rather delay that - and have a focus on QA /
bug-fixing / etc. while we go through the beta phase - and not get
distracted :-)

	Does that make sense ?

	ATB,

		Michael.