[GSOC 2013] Code completion in the Basic IDE

Gergő Mocsi gmocsi91 at gmail.com
Wed May 29 07:16:35 PDT 2013

Hello Everyone,
I'm very excited to do this task in GSOC 2013. My name is Gergő Mocsi and
Iám a student ant Eötvös Loránd University in Budapest, Hungary. Here's
what I've alredy figured out:
the problem in BASIC language is that it can handle only Object type, and
other can be created with createUnoService(...) etc. First, I have to add
support to the other type. Here is an example how I wan to do this:

Dim filepicker As Object
filepicker = createUnoService("com.sun.star.ui.dialogs.FilePicker")

these two lines create a FilePicker that will show up. Later can be used
like this:

filepicker.setDisplayDirectory(".")
filepicker.Title = title
filepicker.execute()
files = filepicker.getFiles()

This code sets the display directory and title of the filepicker, and the
execute() method shows it. After that, we get back the selected file.
So, if we had a FilePicker type in BASIC, we could do the code completition
(beacuse the IDE doesn't know the type, ONLY when executed the code).
So, I'd like to implement these types to BASIC language and it would look
like this:
eg. Dim filepicker as com.sun.star.ui.dialogs.FilePicker
instead of the two lones mentioned above. This would give them a Java-like
object hierarchy (that Object type could be the ancestor of them). So the
first, I'd like to add language support (for recognizing), and then the
iplementation. This means a lot of work, beacuse there are a lot of
interfaces to do. Any better ideas?

Regards,
Gergő Mocsi
IRC:stalker08