[GSOC Introduction] VLC integration

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Fri May 31 12:51:15 PDT 2013

Hi Minh,

On Fri, 2013-05-31 at 22:14 +0300, Minh Ngo wrote:
> My name is Minh. I'm a GSOC student. Like other GSOC participants I'm
> studying in a university. I'm studying Computer Science
> in National Technical University of Ukraine [1] now.

	Welcome - great to have you with the project this summer :-)

> I'm working with  porting existing avmedia module from GStreamer to
> VLC [2][3]. I don't know what must be in my introduction, so
> you can ask me about interesting questions :).

	Heh - I'd not call it porting away from GStreamer, but adding a new VLC
backend - to use if VLC is present on the system - due to us being sure
that it has excellent codec support (way better than ~any shipping OS or
media framework that comes as one-lump). Of course, we'll still support
GStreamer, Quicktime, DirectFoo etc. as well - but it's true we should
base the code on the existing GStreamer work I think.

	Really looking forward to working with you here Minh; the branch to use
is feature/vlc.

	Thanks !

		Michael.