Why does chart_StarOffice_XML_Chart not have a DetectService?

Markus Mohrhard markus.mohrhard at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 4 21:59:49 CET 2013

2013/11/4 Kohei Yoshida <kohei.yoshida at collabora.com>

> On Mon, 2013-11-04 at 14:17 +0000, Caolán McNamara wrote:
> > On Fri, 2013-11-01 at 09:18 +0100, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> > > Does anybody happen to have any insight why there is no DetectService
> > > for chart_StarOffice_XML_Chart (when the dozen other
> > > filter/source/config/fragments/types/*_StarOffice_*.xcu each specify
> one)?
> >
> > Perhaps because you can't (or at least historically you couldn't) have
> > standalone chart documents? i.e. they are always embedded in another
> > file.
>
> And I think we've recently switched to allowing standalone loading and
> saving of chart XML streams, though it's purely for debugging purposes
> rather than for general end-user use.  Markus knows more about this.

It was possible to open chart documents for a long time. I think the big
difference between chart documents and other documents is that they are
normally explicitly opened by another filter. I have added a hack to export
charts but that is a really ugly hack to allow exporting of charts for
debugging copy&paste. This might actually be the reason why there is a
filter configuration file for charts.

I know two cases where we use the pure chart filter as real import/export
filter. Copy&paste and the persistent representation for embedded objects.

Regards,
Markus