Save as formats explored

Markus Mohrhard markus.mohrhard at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 11 00:24:07 PST 2013

2013/11/11 Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org>

> On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 07:19:11AM +0100, Markus Mohrhard wrote:
> > Hey,
> >

> > 2013/11/10 Bryan Quigley <gquigs at gmail.com>
> >
> > > Thanks for the feedback.  The patches for all three are attached.
> > >
> > > 1.
> > > I should reiterate that I'm just removing Write support ONLY for
> > > "OpenOffice 1.0" formats.   You would still be able to open them and
> > > save them as newer formats.  (This is very similar to what I did for
> > > Word 95/6.0 which didn't seem to cause any issues).
> > >
> > > I believe calling it OpenOffice 1.0 should have implied it's legacy.
> > >

> > I'm not really happy with that. We disabled the old MSO formats because
> > they were not well supported. This is different for the openoffice file
> > formats and IMO we should not suddenly remove any support for them unless
> > we have a technical reason to do so. For me it feels completely wrong to
> > remove support for some of the old native OpenOffice files for
> "political"
> > reasons while we add support for ancient Apple formats.
>
> "political"? I don't also see any old (or new) Apple formats in the file
> format list when I save a file.

I'm not sure if they are in the list but you'll easily find the feature in
the release notes.

> Generally I think uncluttering the file format list is a good idea, what
> is the point of a very long list with formats nobody will ever use? May
> be we can have an option to hide/show legacy formats from the list, if
> this is doable.

I know people who still use StarOffice 5.2 so there are surely people out
there who still might use these formats. We removed the binfilter formats
and the old MSO formats for technical reasons. I don't like the idea very
much of removing features because someone thinks that nobody uses this
feature anymore. For me it feels a bit like saying that we should remove
the options to save in ODF 1.0 format because I think nobody is using it
anymore.

If you can provide some numbers that show that nobody has used this feature
in a long time I think we can agree to remove it.

Regards,
Markus