minutes of ESC call ...

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 03:07:19 PST 2013

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 2:29 AM, Stephan Bergmann <sbergman at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 11/07/2013 05:34 PM, Michael Meeks wrote:
>>
>> * Header includes <> vs "" etc. (Tml/Sberg)
>>      + we should use <> everywhere without a relative path.
>>          + but it's fine to continue using "" for whatever corner cases
>> make sense,
>>            identify and restore these post-facto (Kohei)
>

> Note that both solenv/gbuild/com_{GCC,MSC}_class.mk already contain "-I$(dir
> $(3))" in their C/C++ compiler command lines, so will find include files
> next to the main C/C++ source file already even with the <...> syntax.
>
> It makes you cringe for sure, but if it helps poor MSVC...

1/ some public header were using #include "foo.h" meaning foo.h at the
same palce where the current header is... that was wrong... fixed
2/ some source include private headers, as expected using "", but they
themself include other private header using also "" and of course the
first private header can be included from different places in the
source tree... which measn that the -I$(dir $(3)) above is not going
to help.
public header _have_ to work with the <> notation... but for private
header that promise to be a bit of a headache to try to make it
works... and iirc Windows is sensitive to the number of -I on the
command line.. and that would impact all include not just the ""

Norbert