Dev-Environment with Vagrant/VirtualBox?

bjoern bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Sat Nov 16 11:57:44 PST 2013

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 08:37:51PM +0100, Michael Stahl wrote:
> given that a full debug build (which is what would make sense for a
> newbie) is 30 GB, let me take this opportunity to question Bjoern's
> sanity and/or request a don't-drink-and-post policy.

And a non-debug build is merely ~5GB uncompressed, and very helpful for most
first contributions, which is not that much compared to a 5-10GB Linux system
with LibreOffice build dependencies.

> also, a build will get outdated pretty soon anyway... what would be the
> benefit of a 2 month old build today with 4000 extra commits on master?

A first committer would most likely push a small patch to gerrit -- where most
of those can be easily rebased. We are talking about the first onboarding task,
someone using this wont start out with rewriting the Writer core, rather e.g.
covert one dialog to new style UI. This would work perfectly for those guys.

That said, yes, this would need to be updated and rebuild regularly (e.g. once
a month) in an automated way.

Best,

Bjoern