Dev-Environment with Vagrant/VirtualBox?

bjoern bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Tue Nov 19 03:42:19 PST 2013

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 11:16:38AM +0100, Michael Stahl wrote:
> on the other hand, if the newbies do the build themselves they will get
> a sense of having achieved something.  which we can of course help by
> only releasing image with a git repo at a revision that does in fact
> build ;)

Absolutely yes to the second. Some reservations about the first: While doing a
build might feel encouraging, its not too rare that newcomers somehow mess up
their tree and since they are insecure are not sure if they can fix that in
ways an experienced dev confidently does. As such, having a one-click way to
get back to that 'just after build'-state is certainly very comforting.

OTOH this is in a VM -- If we somehow inject a big fat "Your build just
finished, you should REALLY create a snapshot of the VM right now" at the end
of the build, that might be helpful too (e.g. via solenv/gbuild/extensions).

Best,

Bjoern