Vendors Name via UNO API / Basic Macros

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Wed Nov 27 03:47:42 PST 2013

On 11/26/2013 01:56 PM, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:

>>> Well - it´s not a bug, because you mentioned the change in release-notes
>>> of version 4.1.
>
>> There are many ways how to make the problem less annoying in Basic
>> ;-) - we control the Basic implementation, so can work around many
>> things, and if we are lucky, this will be one of them. I am sure
>> we'd try to do that before the release with the incompatible change
>> if we knew early.
>
> Well, I considered doing some "magic" that when the property is
> written, if it gets an integer, interpret it the old way and if it
> gets a UNO Date struct, interpret it the obvious (new) way. Someone
> (Stephan Bergmann?) told me that one could do that for attributes but
> not (pseudo?)properties (or something like that); the Basic
> implementation (bridge?) would refuse to even pass a value of the
> wrong type to the C++ code. I don't see how to achieve it short of
> special-casing this into the bridge / other parts of the Basic
> implementation. Which sounds like a guaranteed subscription for
> maintenance nightmares, and thus not the best of ideas. Would the
> Basic implementation / UNO bridge people be willing to actually have
> that kind of special-casing?

Not sure what you mean with the sentence about attributes and
properties.  But the Basic implementation would indeed be the place
where to handle such special cases to improve backwards compatibility.
(Which matches the observation that Basic authors and Basic code, which
often comes included in documents, probably have the hardest time
copying with our deliberate incompatibilities.)

Stephan