[libreoffice-projects] minutes of ESC call ...

Alex Thurgood alex.thurgood at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 11:56:49 CEST 2013

Le 11/10/2013 11:21, Stephan Bergmann a écrit :

> But what was the story with mysql-connector-ooo, these days apparently
> enabled via a switch called --enable-ext-mariadb-connector?  That switch
> is off by default, and it is not mentioned in any distro-configs/*.conf,
> so appears to be effectively dead code.  Or was that the extension that
> cannot be included in installation sets for whatever reason (and is only
> included in our source tree to make it easy to build it)?  I guess
> Lionel knows.

To the extent that I can get a successful build, I have been building on
Mac OSX (and to a certain extent on Linux 32/64 for testing purposes),
near enough on a daily basis, with a kitchen sink approach to the
extensions because no-one else does them - certainly not TDF.

I rely on that mysql/mariadb connector extension being buildable via
that switch as the connector extension is by far the most capable
solution for me (and I am not alone judging by the requests on the
user's list) for accessing a mysql/mariadb database, rather than say,
using JDBC or ODBC. If the plan is now to retire that switch, needless
to say, I will not be very happy, unless there is some other failsafe,
guaranteed, multi-OS/arch  way of doing it.

The same goes with the other extensions. Perhaps it is not in TDF's
interest to have all that spurious extension code lying around, but in
that case IMHO a clear decision should be taken to either exclude it
from the repo, have it hosted separately with instructions on how to
build/install. Honestly, if we are no longer going to care for the "ext"
extensions that are currently in the repo, why have them at all ?

I'm merely attempting to understand the reasoning into the
decision-making process that determines whether or not an extension
makes it into the main code, and at the moment I'm at a loss to
understand how that reasoning works, as it all seems rather opaque to
me. As regards licensing of the mysql/mariadb connector code, my
understanding was that we now build with LGPL code completely, or did
this not happen in the end ?

Sorry, if I appear a bit lost here, but I am.

Alex