.desktop files

bjoern bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Tue Oct 15 14:34:18 CEST 2013

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 07:31:16AM +0200, Jean-Baptiste Faure wrote:
> I would like to better understand how .desktop files work. They are in
> .../sysui/desktop/menus.
> If I read for example writer.desktop I see that the second exec command
> (at the end of the file) use the hard coded name libreoffice when the
> first one use ${UNIXBASISROOTNAME}. Is it intentional ? Indeed, even
> after installation of LO (upstream, build at home) I do not have any
> libreoffice command on my system (Ubuntu 13.04).

The second one is for unity quicklist integration (the small popup menu you get
from the dash on the sidebar). It indeed might only work if you use the
Debian/Ubuntu provided packages (which you should anyway, if you want system
integration) as those surely provide a 'libreoffice' executable in the default
path.

HTH,

Bjoern