[GSOC]Firebird Integration Weekly Update 12

Andrzej Hunt andrzej at ahunt.org
Thu Sep 5 00:52:34 PDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-09-04 at 09:20 -0700, Terrence Enger wrote:
> How much attention should QA pay to Integrated Firebird?  Is there some part
> of the work for which bug reports would be useful?

I don't think it's worth paying too much attention to it quite yet since
there are still a few fairly visible holes that are known and there only
because I haven't gotten round to implementing the function in question
-- however hopefully I'll be able to clear these up in the next week or
two, after which full testing would be useful.

(Specifically off the top of my head: some index issues, no comments for
tables/columns, floating point numbers are acting a bit strangely but
that seems to be common to HSQLDB, metadata on data types is partially
wrong -- however in any case bug reports would probably still be a
useful reminder of what needs doing.)

> I can imagine, for example, looking at a bug report against embedded HSQLDB
> and trying the same thing on Firebird.  If Firebird shows the same bug, that
> is unremarkable; if Firebird works better than HSQLDB, that is interesting
> in the context of the original bug; if Firebird is worse than HSQLDB
> (including not being able to get far enough to demonstrate the bug), that is
> a bug in the Firebird support.

That would actually be very useful I think, especially since common
issues are likely to be a bug in Base and hence narrow down where to
look to fix them.

Cheers,

	Andrej