Unit Test JVM Issues / URE_INTERNAL_JAVA_DIR

Andrzej Hunt andrzej at ahunt.org
Sat Sep 14 00:14:03 PDT 2013

Hi Stefan/All,

I've been trying to track down why the jvm isn't usable in unit tests
(attempted fix in https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/5936/ )

stoc/source/javavm/javavm.cxx needs to find java which it does by
expanding URE_INTERNAL_JAVA_DIR. This seems to be set within "unorc",
which is found automatically by cppuhelper (cppuhelper/source/paths.cxx
-- getUnoIniuri()) -- this loads unorc from wherever cppuhelper library
is  found(called libuno_ccpuhlpergcc3.so -- not sure why this is the
naming scheme?).

Running LO from instdir: instdir/unxlngx6/ure/lib/unorc is used
(generated by scp2/source/ooo/ure.scp) -- this contains the expected
URE_INTERNAL_JAVA_DIR

Running unit tests -- seems to happen in solver/, and
solver/unxlngx6/lib/unorc is used (directly copied from
cppuhelper/source/unorc), this one  doesn't contain any JAVA paths so
the jvm can't be loaded.

I've just hardcoded the new path into cppuhelper/source/unorc .
I don't know enough about the instdir changes to know whether this is a
good long term solution though?

There is also the classpath variable -- in the instdir unorc this is set
as
URE_INTERNAL_JAVA_CLASSPATH=${URE_MORE_JAVA_TYPES}

URE_MORE_JAVA_TYPES is set in fundamentalrc, of which there is also a
copy in solver (but under installation/program/...), I'm still looking
into whether this is loaded too in a unit test environment, but for the
moment I've just copied the same URE_INTERNAL_JAVA_CLASSPATH line: I
haven't tested yet whether this works -- I'll try that next.

What I'm still not able to do is have hsqldb itself load (fails on can't
find org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver or similar) --this is since the driver has
the hsqldb.jar path hardcoded in the sources as
"$BRAND_BASE_DIR/" LIBO_SHARE_JAVA_FOLDER "/hsqldb.jar"
(and the jdbc drivers specifically only load classes from the driver
specific classpath) -- I guess if unit tests were to be run in instdir
then that would allow things to work, I'm still thinking about how best
to let them run in the current solver though (although I hear solver is
to be gotten rid of eventually).

Cheers,

	Andrzej