4.1.1 Binary size

bjoern bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Thu Sep 19 04:21:51 PDT 2013

Hi,

note this is the developer list, if you want to help out on this issue you are
most welcome!

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 11:14:09AM +0200, Michaël Lefèvre wrote:
> - 3.6.7 : 205 Mo
> - 4.0.5 : 184 Mo
> - 4.1.1 : 205 Mo

This made me curious, the 4.0 drop is expected for binfilter, but gaining 20MB
for 4.1? I had a quick look at the Ubuntu packages and found libreoffice-common
(arch-independant files) had exploded from 10MB to 26MB. Digging into that, I
found:

 /usr/lib/libreoffice/share/gallery

to have grown from 6MB to 23MB. As a onetime event that is still bearable, but
artwork is _very_ expensive spacewise so if there is further growth, packaging
most of that externally (e.g. as an extension) and trimming down to the very
basics as a default would be needed IMHO.

Best,

Bjoern