v4.3.0.4 not working on SSE1 CPUs anymore

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Fri Aug 8 03:15:59 PDT 2014

On 08/08/14 03:10, Maniaxx wrote:
> Hallo,
> LibreOffice v4.3.0.4 doesn't work on SSE1 CPUs anymore. Tested on AMD
> AthlonXP (AMD K7) with Windows7 32Bit. Previous version was v4.1.0 that
> worked properly.
>
> Exception code is c000001d (illegal instruction). Probably thrown by
> SSE2 instruction (or higher) that the K7 doesn't understand (it supports
> "MMX, Extended 3DNow, SSE, PowerNow!").
>
> This can usually be fixed by limiting the compiler (GCC) to SSE
> instruction set.
>
> Can you fix that?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/7t5yh4fd%28v=vs.100%29.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio
/7t5yh4fd%28v=vs.110%29.aspx

Visual Studio 2012 has switched the default to "/arch:SSE2", if we want
to support those old CPUs we have to use "-arch:SSE" (or even
"-arch:IA32", although i'd hope every CPU that can run WinXP supports SSE).

that's reasonably easy to do for our own code, but probably a bit more
effort for the bundled external libraries...