new tool for vim users

Eike Rathke erack at redhat.com
Mon Aug 11 03:52:08 PDT 2014

Hi Markus,

On Thursday, 2014-08-07 23:10:35 +0200, Markus Mohrhard wrote:

> looking for a task that does not make my head spin while being sick in
> bed I worked on support for YouCompleteMe [1]. For people who don't
> know it, it is a VIM plugin -- one more reason for emacs users to
> switch to the good side ;) -- that provides code-completition based on
> clang. Therefore it actually understands the code and can give correct
> suggestions.

Sounds all good, but does the in-the-background-compilation and the
actual completion search really scale with our code base?
What scares me away is "that no keyboard shortcuts had to be pressed to
get the list of completion candidates" ;-)  so it is continuously
popping up suggestions I didn't ask for? That looks a little annoying in
the demo. Other than that the description reads as if it was a quite
sophisticated utility.

So far I'm using

OmniCppComplete : C/C++ omni-completion with ctags database

where our ctags tags file already provides the necessary information
for. It does have some shortcomings but most times works when needed.

  Eike

GPG key ID: 0x65632D3A - 2265 D7F3 A7B0 95CC 3918  630B 6A6C D5B7 6563 2D3A
Support the FSFE, care about Free Software! https://fsfe.org/support/?erack