"user profile" in testing

Terrence Enger tenger at iseries-guru.com
Tue Aug 19 12:25:17 PDT 2014

On Mon, 2014-08-18 at 15:58 +0200, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> On 08/17/2014 06:54 PM, Terrence Enger wrote:
[ incorrect guess about what -evn:UserInstalltion does ]

> No; what happens exactly is:  Whenever at LO 4 start-up no LO 4 user
> profile exists (e.g. because -env:UserInstallation points to a directory
> that does not exist) and a LO 3 user profile exists at the canonic
> location (i.e., not taking into account any -env:UserInstallation) and
> the LO 3 user profile does not contain a MIGRATED4 marker file, then the
> MIGRATED4 marker file is written into the LO 3 user profile and data
> from the LO 3 user profile is migrated into the newly created LO 4 user
> profile.
>
> > Is it a reportable bug if LibreOffice crashes when using a user
> > profile created by an earlier version?  ( I tend to the position that
> > every crash is a bug, but I can well see that a lot of bugs
> > "RESOLVED WONTFIX" could become annoying. )
>
> Such crashes should generally be considered bugs that should be fixed.
> An exception is when the user profile data that causes the crash can
> only have been produced by a "non-official" LO version (e.g. a nightly
> snapshot).

Bah!  Humbug!  Despite my best efforts, I am unable to reproduce the
crash which provoked my interest.  It is time to invoke the First Rule
of Holes.

Thank you, Stephan, for your patience with a fat-fingered (and very
frustrated) klutz.

Terry.