minutes of ESC call ...

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Mon Dec 8 06:42:28 PST 2014

Hi Lubos,

On Fri, Dec 05, 2014 at 06:46:17PM +0100, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Thursday 04 of December 2014, Michael Meeks wrote:
> > * Large scale renames (Kendy)
> >         + if cleanup there; perhaps some improved naming too.
>
> http://qt-project.org/wiki/API-Design-Principles#d8bc4b5cb3e68ae6e38b29e371b7f734
> would be a very worthwhile reading here.

good link, thanks! I think the problem -- at least in Writer -- is a bit
deeper, no only naming: the classes in sw/ have somewhat muddy purposes and
arent too well defined in their scope. The naming is just the topping on the
cake (What is a SwFmtFrmSize and how is (if at all) it related to a SwFrmFmt?).

IMHO, the best way out of this mess would be to:
1/ find groups of around ~5 classes as a batch and define (and doxygen-document)
  the single responsiblity of each of those well. It likely makes sense to
  refer to the old "::SwFoo StarOffice/OpenOffice.org class name" in doxygen
  too.
2/ move this set of classes a name matching the defined responsiblity in
   namespace sw

That would mean we would try to start some consistent well-scoped naming in
namespace sw, while the global (top-level) namespace still contains the old
wild west naming. And them we would step by step grow the pocket by adding
stuff in a ordered fashion to it.

And yeah, as a start, it would likely mean sw::Frame would need to be ranamed
to something else as sw::Frame should be the natural place for the class that
is currently called SwFrm ...

Best,

Bjoern