trade spelling dictionaries

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Tue Dec 23 12:57:34 PST 2014

On Mon, 2014-12-22 at 13:33 -0800, JE G wrote:
> Many trades have special vocabularies. (medical, legal, engineering,
> computer, biology, etc.) I have a list of scientific names for plants
> that has grown to be so large that does not fit the custom dictionary
> space. I am wondering if it can be converted to another form like the
> language dictionaries. If so how do I do this? Is there a program that
> builds this kind of file?

You could try wordlist2hunspell which is part of the hunspell package
(hunspell-devel under fedora for example which generates an ultra dumb
hunspell .aff and .dic pair.

that script just automates the first two steps of the guide of
http://www.suares.com/index.php?page_id=25&news_id=233

There's some info there on how to use munch etc to further shrink the
size of the hunspell dictionary format version if necessary.

C.