Deprecate <presentation:animations> ?

Thorsten Behrens thb at documentfoundation.org
Tue Feb 11 20:47:15 CET 2014

Regina Henschel wrote:
> It is about the old style animations, which does not work since
> refactoring of presentations in OOo2.

Hmm. So there's sd/source/core/EffectMigration.cxx, which in turn gets
used by Impress' uno implementation in
sd/source/ui/unoidl/unoobj.cxx.

And I see odf importer code at xmloff/source/draw/animimp.cxx, used
from ximppage.cxx.

> Is see two options (see the discussion and my comment 7 there)
> (1) Implement element <presentation:animations>.
> (2) Suggest to OASIS to deprecate the element and its children in
> ODF1.3. and later remove it.
>
> What do you think about option (2)?
>
> Do you know any application that supports <presentation:animations>?

So my hunch is both LibreOffice and AOO still support at least a
subset of that (one would have to create a few old-style animations in
OOo 1.x to verify if it actually _works_).

On the other hand, clearly all of that is superseded by the SMIL stuff
(which is much more expressive anyway), so deprecation sounds like a
pragmatic choice to reduce pointless duplication in the standard...

Cheers,

-- Thorsten