OpenGL on Linux

Wols Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Wed Feb 12 14:34:03 CET 2014

On 11/02/14 21:10, Markus Mohrhard wrote:
> I'm sorry but there is no chance that I will support OpenGL 1.x with
> this feature. Even if there is still hardware out there it amkes no
> sense to work with a standard that is so old that it has been deprecated
> by Khronos several years ago. We will simply not support this feature on
> such hardware. Luckily glew allows us to make this a runtime check so it
> will just not be available.

No worries. The thread was wondering what GLs were out there so I
thought I ought to mention it. Don't forget, though, XP still is out
there, and is more than enough for a lot of people. MS want to force
them off it ... I can't move on because I haven't got developer keys for
anything newer ... that old hardware runs XP fine.

As for supporting old standards, well, I'd go for "graceful degradation"
- if the card doesn't support newer features, either use a compatibility
library or tell the user "sorry your hardware is too old to support this
feature". But DON'T allow the user to upgrade LO only to discover that
stuff has stopped working because the requirements have been upgraded.

Cheers,
Wol