Some information about LibO on actual hardware

Thomas Krumbein thomas.krumbein at documentfoundation.org
Tue Feb 18 18:28:27 CET 2014

Hey all,

in actual business cases more and more people are using tablets and
small and light computers (convertibals, ultrabooks). And because we
will be on CeBIT and CeBIT is a business exhibition, I want to be sure,
that LibO will work with actual hardware.

So I bought a Lenovo Yoga2 13" Ideapad and give LibO a chance ;)
Actual Hardware, Intel I5, Windows 8.1, SSD, 8 GB RAM,
Display: 3200*1800px

Here are my first impressions:

First of all the good news: LibO (I used version 4.2.1) can be installed
without any problems :)

The first start works ok and the new Startcenter looks good and fits to
the display resolution. Icons and fonts are big enough and easy to read.

Then I start a first applicatin (Text-Document). It opens, but was
nearly unusable - really small fonts, Icons looks like a "fly-dirt" and
you need a strong magnifying-glass to know, what it is...

So I change the options, select 120% Font, big Icons - and try again.

Now it is a little bit better, Fonts, Menus etc are readable, size is
small, but ok. Only all the Icons are still very, very small and do not
fit to fonts and text. So the surface does not look homogeneous.

But I could work with libreOffice.

Then I turn on the side-bar. Fonts are here stronger then expected and
looks a little bit to "fat". Icons are still to small.
Because some information were hide on the right side of the sidebar, I
tried to expand the sidebar a little bit to the left - this was the dead
of LibO.
Just saw a "flattern" of the left border of the sidebar stepping
forward/backwards in milliseconds - nothing reacts any more and only the
taskmanager could kill the process.
OK, I am not sure, if ths is a special problem of the version 4.2.1 or
if it is problem of the high resulution desktop - but it is a failure!

I tried all moduls and (without using the sidebar) I did not find
differences to typical desktops, so I guess, it will work on those hardware.

I have done some screenshots - but using normal displays they all looks
very big and ok - so you cannot get a feeling in real ;)

We will have this maschine on CeBIT and all who visit us can have an own
look - that might be more helpful.

That´s what I want to share with you

best regards
Thomas

--
## Unterstützung der freien Office Suite
## http://de.libreOffice.org  - www.LibreOffice.org