Help/advise asked with deadlocks when opening Visio objects in Writer

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Wed Jan 8 04:01:21 PST 2014

On 08/01/14 12:00, Winfried Donkers wrote:

> The company I work for uses MS Visio to create illustrations, which are embedded into Writer documents (and not saved separately as Visio document).
> Since we started using LibreOffice versions later than 3.5 (I think), we have seemingly random problems with LibreOffice freezing when opening an embedded Visio object.
> The problem is very hard to reproduce (I have been trying for months, and have succeeded only once*), but it can occur multiple times on a single day for a single user.

> I know that the SolarMutex issue is getting attention, and that area is far beyond my capabilities.
> But could there be a way to recognize these deadlocks and kill these deadlocks without killing the LibreOffice application?

not really.

> Possibly, with help from the experts, I might be able to create a temporary 'patch' ...
> I have not created a bug report for this, since I could find no way to reproduce the problem. Depending on your reaction(s) I will create the bug report.

it's usually possible to fix a deadlock from just a backtrace of all
threads.

you say you have a user who has been blessed by the gods with an ability
to reproduce the problem, so give them an LO with debug symbols (perhaps
use Kendy's fancy symbol-server thing or build it yourself), and once
it's properly locked up attach Visual Studio (or windbg) and copy all
the stacks and file a bug (CC: me).