@Developers, please give us room!

Olivier Hallot olivier.hallot at libreoffice.org
Fri Jan 17 03:58:41 PST 2014

Hi Guys

I would like to bring to your attention one of the few but recurrent
issue we translators have for non English languages.

Please give us at least 50% more room to fit our translated strings in
dialogs with fixed dimensions.

The English language is very concise in characters and words, so en-US
strings tend to be much shorter than many other languages. If you
compute VCL widget sizes and position to fit exactly the size of en-US
strings, most translators will have trouble to make their work fit in
the dialog.

To give a single example: "toolbar" = "barra de ferramentas", more than
twice the size, so 50% more room for strings is a guesstimate, at best.

The New GTK widget UI is supposed to fix that but until all the new
development uses it, we will still have the issue on each translation cycle.

Thanks in advance for that. Have a good day!
--
Olivier Hallot
Comunidade LibreOffice