space between values and units in spinners, fdo#71688

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Tue Jan 21 03:59:17 PST 2014

For 4.3 we are now, in the normal case, putting space between values and
units in spinners. e.g. now "10 mm" instead of "10mm".
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_31-0)

For the degree symbol we are not putting space between value and unit,
i.e. it remains "10°"

I think those are hopefully uncontroversial.

The tricky case is the % symbol, because, while ISO-31-0 implies that
"10 %" is the preferred scientific format, English style guides prefer
"10%" and "10 %" looks "just plain wrong". It's a locale-dependent
formatting rule (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percent_sign)

So to resolve this we now have a function formatPercent which takes the
number and the locale and runs it through icu's PercentInstance to
format it according to that locale's formatting rule. Which gives e.g.
"10 %" for de and "10%" for en. (http://site.icu-project.org/)

What this means is that:
a) In the English strings in .src files the source text should not have
a space between number and %. I think these are all fixed now.
b) You should check that the icu percent formatting rule is considered
correct for your language in the context of a office suite UI e.g. in
the spinner of view->zoom->zoom->variable
c) If you agree with icu's % formatting for your language then update
the translations for X% to be consistent with that formatting. Otherwise
we can fix icu or make a blacklist of languages which should be excluded
from the default icu percent formatting.

C.