[libreoffice-l10n] space between values and units in spinners, fdo#71688

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Wed Jan 22 04:49:17 PST 2014

On Tue, 2014-01-21 at 11:32 -0600, Adolfo Jayme Barrientos wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 5:59 AM, Caolán McNamara <caolanm at redhat.com> wrote:
> > [...]
> > c) If you agree with icu's % formatting for your language then update
> > the translations for X% to be consistent with that formatting. Otherwise
> > we can fix icu or make a blacklist of languages which should be excluded
> > from the default icu percent formatting.
>
> Caolán, how can we submit a fix for ICU? For instance, Spanish
> formatting should be exactly the same as German, i.e. “#,##0 %”.

So icu gets them via the CLDR, see the chart at
http://www.unicode.org/cldr/charts/24/by_type/numbers.number_formatting_patterns.html
and see the how-to-update guide at
http://cldr.unicode.org/index/bug-reports

The CLDR is an awesome piece of work, e.g. default paper sizes of
regions and so on. It's worth knowing about it and worth checking that
it's right for your locale to help out all projects.

For LibreOffice I can special case Spanish to have a space between the
value and %, but is it a "normal" space like between words or should it
be a narrow space like Stephen dug out from his German style guide.

C.