General question about vectors

Andrew Douglas Pitonyak andrew at pitonyak.org
Sun Jan 26 21:34:21 PST 2014

On 01/26/2014 07:35 PM, Chris Sherlock wrote:
> Libreoffice takes advantage of STL vectors throughout the codebase. So
> just a general question: under what circumstances is it better to use
> a for loop than an STL for_each loop?
>
> Are there specific advantages to for_each over a regular loop?

I think that the primary advantage is one of readability.

1. The code is shorter and it reads easily.

2. It is clear that every element is addressed (rather than wondering if
there is a premature break or the loop constraints do not specify the
endpoints.

3. The applied function is easy to identify (it is named).

4. It may reduce or remove complicated declaration statements for the
iterators.

I have never heard anyone argue that they are more efficient in execution.

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php