Looking into the "moving anchors" problems in Calc and Writer

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Wed Jul 9 05:00:43 PDT 2014

Hi Jan-Marek,

On Wed, Jul 09, 2014 at 12:12:12PM +0200, Jan-Marek Glogowski wrote:
> == MM Speed (still broken, but unrelated) ==
>
> I've put quite some information into fdo#80823 to prevent optimizations
> in the wrong area.
>
> fdo#56355 - MAILMERGE: Creating mailing with more than 1000 records is
> incredible slow (3.5.6.2)
> fdo#79067 - MAILMERGE: mailmerge takes ages to create documents (3.6.7.2)
> fdo#80823 - MAILMERGE: Use IDocumentMarkAccess::UNO_BOOKMARK to mark end
> of one mail merge part (OOo)

Just a quick note on this: I did callgrind this, but with trivial document only
having some enumerations. It might very well be that there are lots of
different performance issues in the layouts for different sample documents.

In the end, specfically for mail merge, the goal IMHO has to be to kill the
relayout after each insert, to allow the merged document to be rendered _once_
at the end of the merge.

Of course, speeding up the layout itself is nice too as it likely also helps
load/save speed in general. But I dont think it would be the right approach to
fix mail merge for good.

Best,

Bjoern