[Libreoffice-qa] Presentation Video Bug - Need Dev/QA Feedback

Jay Philips philipz85 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 3 06:05:18 PDT 2014

On 06/03/2014 03:24 PM, Caolán McNamara wrote:
> For Linux, we're using gstreamer under Linux to play back video, so I
> suggest if there's an issue playing back video under Linux that the
> reporter checks if it works in totem which typically defaults to having
> gstreamer as its backend. So as a rule of thumb if it doesn't work in
> totem then its definitely not our bug and we're not interested, if it
> does work in totem then its potentially of interest.

In my testing of a fresh install of Ubuntu 14.04, after installing
gstreamer 0.10 ugly, bad, bad-multiverse, all videos would play fine in
totem but not in impress until i also installed libav-tools. I found the
simplest means of getting everything needed installed is simply to
install the ubuntu-restricted-extras package from the software center.

> For MacOSX I wonder if Tor knows of a basic/built-in video viewer on
> MacOSX which uses the same route we are using to render video which can
> be used as an example program to compare against to filter out missing
> codecs vs libreoffice-side bustate ?

Do you know how playback is implemented on windows as i wanted to do
testing on it. Someone mentioned that if i plays in windows media
player, then it should play in impress, but unfortunately that is not
the case.

I plan to set up a wiki page with Joel's help to provide details of how
to get audio/video playback to work correctly on different
distros/platforms and would appreciate any contributions.

Jay