NPAPI-based features in LO

Bryan Quigley gquigs at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 07:24:47 PDT 2014

Hi there,

I pushed that gerrit request..
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/9644/.  Most things have already
been mentioned, but...

>regarding (2) the problem is that users could have created documents
>that contain embedded plug-ins

Which AFAICT is also broken, tried this on Ubuntu 14.04 and WinXP.
Example file: https://issues.apache.org/ooo/attachment.cgi?id=81036

> do browsers nowadays sand-box plug-ins appropriately?  can the LO plug-in even be sand-boxed?
I believe the major ones get sandboxed (or maybe just Flash) and
google's move to PPAPI allows for better sandboxing.  I don't believe
either are relevant for LibreOffice though.  As mentioned earlier,
plugins in general are on the way out.

I don't think it makes sense to invest in NPAPI while the browser
vendors are trying to kill it themselves.

Just to clarify my commit message in regards to the "needed"
GUI/ActiveX changes.  We still have an ActiveX browser (or more?)
plugin that I also haven't been able to get to work.  I was going to
wait on removing the plugin hooks from the GUI until we decide if we
want to drop that too.  Seems consistent to remove them all at the
same time... (any Win devs interested in doing that?)

Thanks!
Bryan

P.S. At one point could you load a webpage with an embedded
LibreOffice doc in it, that has an embedded Flash swf in it?