Quantifying the time overhead of Cygwin make

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Tue Jun 10 03:14:09 PDT 2014

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 12:43:05PM +0300, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> Are you sure GnuWin32 actually is something even worth considering?
> Cygwin at least has a semi-decent package management even if it is a
> bit slower.

IMHO, the build system shouldnt go much beyond coreutils with its expectation
on the baseline, everything else needless risk for the future. AFAIK we are
still (apart from some historic perl crap) mostly clean wrt that in gbuild.

Or to put it in another way: If we depend too hard on "a semi-decent package
management system" for our baseline, we (the build system) are doing it wrong.

Imagine a future Windows version breaking cygwin fundamentally (or needing to
be ported ~again from scratch, possibly taking years) -- not entirely
impossible, given how deep in the bowels of the OS it plays around.

Best,

Bjoern