Quantifying the time overhead of Cygwin make

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Tue Jun 10 04:36:40 PDT 2014

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 01:06:11PM +0200, Michael Stahl wrote:
> setup-x86.exe ...

> autoconf automake pkg-config

Yeah, those are a pain to port (ironically -- as their original purpose was to
provide portability -- to now obsolete systems). I was only half joking when I
considered CMake to be a decent autoconf replacement that got out of control.

> bison doxygen flex gperf patch

Those are mostly *nix natives -- but it should be possible to have them in
external/ like so many other things if really needed.

> cabextract

windows specific -- could also live in external as its surely is available natively.

> libxml2-devel libpng12-devel

Seems those would be saner as natives external/ too if needed.

> mintty openssh openssl vim gnupg git rsync

Wat? Seem like convenience to me, not hard deps.

> zip unzip wget

Widely available on win32. Also the functionality is trivially implemented in
python oneliners, we already ship python.

> python readline

We are shipping those ourselves on win32 arent we?

> perl perl_vendor

I already commented on those.

> make

Doh, would be gone with a native make.

> gcc-g++

Used for bootstrapping concat-deps? Likely not too hard to do with a native compiler.

> it's possible that Msys has a lot of the things we need, but perhaps not
> things like cabextract, doxygen, gperf, perl, python.

OTOH, as said above, some of those might just end up in external/ then (or
already are) ...

Best,

Bjoern