I need to better understand our css::uno::Reference

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Wed Jun 18 07:21:44 PDT 2014

Hi,

Why does the attached patch lead to a segfault in "make
JunitTest_dbaccess_unoapi"? (The patch is against very recent master,
as in "I pushed right before hitting send on this email".)

Essentially, it changes, in code internal to a class,
Reference< XResultSet >
by
Reference< OResultSet >

Where XResultSet is one of the (several) UNO interfaces supported by
class OResultSet, which is itself a base class inherited by other
classes (it is connectivity::file::OResultSet, inherited by
connectivity::dbase::ODbaseResultSet and
connectivity::calc::OCalcResultSet and
connectivity::flat::OFlatResultSet).

And then it makes use of this extra typing information to get rid of
"silly" things like "oh, now I need the actual OResultSet pointer, so
I have to cast it back" and "I know this is a ORecordSet object that
implements XComponent, but the typing system doesn't, so I have to use
UNO_QUERY to get an XComponent interface".

My goal was:

1) To get the information in the typing system to make the code more
   readable, avoid all kinds of (hidden in Reference-handling)
   dynamic_cast, NULL-equality checks that I know will succeed, etc.

2) Not use raw/naked pointers to be exception-safe (which avoids me to
   think and find out whether any exception can be thrown there or
   not, and is good code hygiene).

*But* then it segfaults as soon as I try to construct a
Reference< OResultSet >
from a
OResultSet*
and that's how:

#2  0x00002acc39dbbb1b in connectivity::file::OResultSet::getDriverPos (this=0x2935670) at /home/master/src/libreoffice/workdirs/libreoffice-4-4/connectivity/source/drivers/file/FResultSet.cxx:1725
#3  0x00002acc39dacd21 in com::sun::star::uno::Reference<connectivity::file::OResultSet>::Reference (this=0x2acc2e9a54a0, pInterface=0x2935670) at /home/master/src/libreoffice/workdirs/libreoffice-4-4/include/com/sun/star/uno/Reference.hxx:137
#4  0x00002acc39da82b2 in connectivity::file::OPreparedStatement::makeResultSet (this=this at entry=0x292b750) at /home/master/src/libreoffice/workdirs/libreoffice-4-4/connectivity/source/drivers/file/FPreparedStatement.cxx:106
        xResultSet = uno::Reference to (connectivity::dbase::ODbaseResultSet *) 0x2935670

FPreparedStatement.cxx:106 is:
    Reference<OResultSet> xResultSet(createResultSet());

Reference.hxx:137 is the ->acquire() call in:
template< class interface_type >
inline Reference< interface_type >::Reference( interface_type * pInterface )
{
    _pInterface = castToXInterface(pInterface);
    if (_pInterface)
        _pInterface->acquire();
}

but it ends up in the wrong method, namely getDriverPos()! So my guess
is that it goes wrong in the "castToXInterface", but I don't
understand why. At first, I thought maybe it is related to
 "XInterface is an ambiguous base of connectivity::file::OResultSet"
but then, the comment around "castToXInterface" says that it is
designed to work "in the cases of multiple-inheritance interface types
(which inherit XInterface more than once)".

OTOH, it also says "In principle, this is not guaranteed to work. In
practice, it seems to work on all supported platforms." Maybe I'm just
hitting the practical version of this "in principle"?

And if I'm doing something that is "NOT ALLOWED" with
css::uno::Reference, what can I use as smart pointer to make all this
easy / clean / working? I tried using std::auto_ptr but that
segfaulted also (I think an implicit css::uno::Reference was created
when I assigned the pointer to a css::uno::WeakReference (namely the
member m_xResultSet), and this delete'd the object when going out of
scope), I understand I cannot use C++11 unique_ptr because we want to
be C++98-compatible (and it would probably have the same problem as
auto_ptr anyway).

--
Lionel