[GSoC 2014] Code pointers for text properties in Draw

Miklos Vajna vmiklos at collabora.co.uk
Tue May 6 00:21:54 PDT 2014

Hi Matteo,

On Mon, May 05, 2014 at 10:24:55AM -0400, Matteo Campanelli <matteo.campanelli at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm working on adding text background color to Draw text frames but I
> suspect I'm having troubles finding my way through the basics of the whole
> application's architecture.

In general, TextFrame is a Writer concept, what you want to improve here
is the shape text of drawinglayer shapes, I guess. ;-)

> Browsing through code in sd/,  I haven't found anything that seemed to deal
> specifically with text properties.
> I suppose most of the responsibility for text features is in some external
> module (editeng, by any chance?), but I don't understand where it is that
> Draw-specific code makes use of these features.

Yes, it's editeng that provides the shape text functionality in
Impress/Draw.

> Could anyone point to any documentation/code I could look at or could
> anyone help me get clarity on this point?

include/editeng/eeitem.hxx provides the identifiers for editeng
properties, EE_CHAR_GRABBAG and EE_CHAR_CASEMAP are quite recent
additions, they may serve as a good example on how to add a new editeng
character (i.e. when the property is not for the paragraph, but only for
a portion of it) property.

That's the document model. Once you are done with that, the next steps
are dealing with UNO API, layout, filters, tests, UI -- but one step at
a time. :-)

Miklos