Google shuts down the OpenID 2.0 on April 20, 2015

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 07:07:11 PST 2014

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 3:43 PM, David Ostrovsky <d.ostrovsky at gmx.de> wrote:

> Just to inform you, that Google shuts down the OpenID 2.0
> service on April 20, 2015, as explained in this announcement [1].
>
> I know that some folks use it for Gerrit authentication.

Does github has a openid 2.0 service ? does it work with gerrit ?
What is the replacement that the gerrit project plan to use
(after all a lot of the project is google-centric no ? )

> I think that the most promising alternative would be to set up OpenID
> service on TDF infrastructure.

Do you know how to do that ?
But more to the point, what is the benefit of having a openid provider
for _one_ service...
I mean I use the google one because I also use gmail, so by the time I
want to go to gerrit I'm already logged-in
If that is not the case, how is it better than just handling
user/passowrd the good old way (via the web server) ?

btw, I think the biggest design problem of gerrit, wrt to Auth, is
this all-or-nothing approach.
If we could activate openid _and/or_passowrd _and/or_ LDAP
We would not have to care much about google dropping openID

Norbert