Google shuts down the OpenID 2.0 on April 20, 2015

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 08:59:16 PST 2014

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 10:48 AM, Wols Lists <antlists at youngman.org.uk> wrote:
> On 11/11/14 16:14, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
>> so that leave 670 people that _need_ to do something before Aprils
>> 2015, or they won;t be able to log-in (and btw fixing that _after_ the
>> fact will be a MAJOR pita.)
>
> Sound like you need to :-(
>
> 1) stop accepting new sign-ups with a Google OpenID (allow them to add
> them, though :-)

yes in theory.. in practice my best compromized would be to remove the
convenient 'link' to google on the login page... to limit it being
used by virtue of the principle of least resistance'

> 2) Start sending nag-mails to people who only have Google OpenID, saying
> that as soon as they add a second id the nagmails will stop.

yes.. I already worked out the sql request to get a list of email to nag.

We will try to discuss that at the next ESC to see what the consensus
is moving forward.
(just because I _have_ access to the emails, does not mean I should
feel free to start blasting spam on my own accord :-) )

> Yes, it's a pita :-(

nah.. that is the easy part.. the pita is what to do when a user only
has a google-openid attached to his account after google stop the
service...
Then the user need to create a new account, and I need to run some
home-made sql-statement to 'merge' the new account and the old one...
then I need to flush the caches... all in all time consuming, risky and messy.

Norbert