UOF v2.0, the PRC national XML standard for Chinese Office documents--what to do with it in LibreOffice?

V Stuart Foote VStuart.Foote at utsa.edu
Tue Nov 11 15:37:43 PST 2014

@Kohei,

Kohei Yoshida-7 wrote
> It seems to me that you probably know more about UOF than the rest of
> us.  I'd like to hear your opinion of what should be done.  And if your
> answer is "we should take this further to support Chinese users", then
> who do you think should provide the development resources, given TDF
> itself has no development resources?
>
> I have my own biased (and uninformed) opinion on this topic, but that's
> probably not relevant here.

No, completely new to me since I began poking at fdo#50430.  And I guess
that is part of the issue, I've had to dig pretty deep to find out where we
went of track.

There was some preliminary work done back in the OOo heyday when UOF was
just being finalized--but then nada.  The OOo team missed an opportunity in
2010 to bring things with UOF  more current--and balked as it was too close
to a release cycle.  Then nothing-- and while developers in China and state
sponsors have continued their  efforts on UOF--support for the XML format
in OOo and now LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice has been passed over.

Not sure if the repo network tracks it, but might be interesting to identify
just how many seats of LibreOffice have been downloaded to Chinese
configured web browsers.   Can we somehow determine how relative LibreOffice
and ODF  is to Chinese language users, or to office users in the PRC?

That metric might dictate what path to take in support of  UOF
interoperability in LibreOffice, is it functionality that our Chinese
reading users would make use of?

Stuart