minutes of ESC call ...

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at collabora.com
Fri Nov 14 03:10:00 PST 2014

On Friday 14 of November 2014, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> On 11/14/2014 07:49 AM, Noel Grandin wrote:
> > (2) Perhaps we need to be using the extern template feature to limit the
> > number of instantiations of various templates?
>
> Template instantiations, via the typical "all-inline" nature of the
> template declarations, have hidden visibility and should end up with one
> copy per dynamic object.

 But also with one copy per .o file, which presumably contributes to higher
resource demands for building. It's also a question if the linker is as good
at discarding duplicate debuginfo about templates.

> I'm not sure whether there would be much
> compile- or run-time benefit from using another strategy (plus, I'm not
> sure whether it would work well across the various toolchains to give
> template instantiations non-hidden visibility).

 Given we have SAL_DLLPUBLIC_TEMPLATE, it seems likely that there shouldn't be
any big trouble there.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak at collabora.com