Google shuts down the OpenID 2.0 on April 20, 2015

Eike Rathke erack at redhat.com
Thu Nov 20 17:00:46 PST 2014

Hi,

On Monday, 2014-11-10 22:43:42 +0100, David Ostrovsky wrote:

> Just to inform you, that Google shuts down the OpenID 2.0
> service on April 20, 2015, as explained in this announcement [1].

I wonder if Gerrit could be easily talked into additionally accepting
OpenID Connect (OAuth 2.0 login), the successor of OpenID 2.0, see also
http://openid.net/connect/
http://openid.net/2014/02/26/the-openid-foundation-launches-the-openid-connect-standard/
Google is explicitly mentioned as one of the implementors and "Google is
betting big on OpenID Connect because it’s simple for developers to
understand and makes it easy to federate with identity providers."
(which effectively probably is the reason why they shutdown OpenID 2.0)
so the benefit of being already logged into Google (really, you want
that?) when login into Gerrit could persist.

https://developers.google.com/+/api/auth-migration#timetable
says "mapping of OpenID 2.0 identifiers to OAuth 2.0 identifiers will
continue to work until January 1, 2017." so this might be attractive for
those who don't want to sign up with yet another OpenID provider.

Btw, for those who don't want a launchpad.net ID for religious reasons
there's a fedoraproject.org ID server ;-)

And it is always good to have at least two OpenID providers assigned to
one account.. as April 20 will tell..

  Eike

GPG key ID: 0x65632D3A - 2265 D7F3 A7B0 95CC 3918  630B 6A6C D5B7 6563 2D3A
Care about Free Software, support the FSFE https://fsfe.org/support/?erack