Who knows of a free UML tool to work with libreoffice?

Andrew Douglas Pitonyak andrew at pitonyak.org
Fri Nov 21 07:20:50 PST 2014

Nicholas,

Can you clarify your request?

Do you simply need a free UML tool, something that allows you to model
UML from within LO, or something to create UML for use by the official
LO project?

Some years back, I found a UML to a project that directed that open
source tools be used. If I remember correctly, we chose ArgoUML. That
was sufficiently long ago that there are likely new options.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unified_Modeling_Language_tools
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Free_UML_tools

My preferred UML package for general use is Enterprise Architect by Sparx.

http://www.sparxsystems.com/

The thing that I liked about their software is that they have a version
that is price accessible to individual developers. For example, the
Desktop version is $135. My complaint with the desktop version is that
it does not support code import / export, and it is nice to be able to
point at a block of code and then import it into UML class diagrams.
That is supported by the professional version for $199. Even in a
corporate setting I have not found the extra features overly compelling
(because last I checked [8 years ago, so this may have changed], the
ability to use a DBMS as the back-end stored an XML blob representing
large chunks of the diagram so that multiple people could not edit
"near" portions at the same time, they had to be totally separate
packages).

http://www.sparxsystems.com/products/ea/purchase.html

The Sparx product (when I last evaluated, which was when their top
version was the Corporate Edition), it did not come close to packages
such as Rational Rose with respect to things like integration with
multiple levels of development at the cost thousands of dollars. On the
other hand, if you primarily are interested in UML, it is pretty
comprehensive and their bang for the buck (so to speak) is very high.

The Sparx Enterprise Architect (EA) program is able to generate very
nice reports that you can then edit inside of LO, but, they don't
round-trip back into EA. I expect that any of the products, free or
otherwise, will allow you to generate some sort of artifact that you can
then embed in an LO document, but, the standard UML packages will likely
not create something that integrates with LO or allows round-tripping
the data (create in tool, edit in LO, bring back into the tool).

Interested if you do find something that does integrate.

If you are interested in direct integration, then you will need to use
Draw and do all the work yourself

For example:
http://mvantzet.wordpress.com/2009/10/20/drawing-uml-diagrams-in-openoffice-draw/

--