minutes for call about new testing hardware

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Wed Oct 29 14:23:59 PDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 04:02:00PM -0500, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
> 1/ this price is without VAT ( add 19% :
> http://aws.amazon.com/tax-help/european-union/ )
> 2/ no storage ??? add 1.2$ per GB per year... to compare apple to
> apple the other machine has 4TB. so that would be $4800 + VAT more on
> aws
> 3/ no bandwidth ? aws price for bandwidth OUT, to the internet is
> $0.12 a GB above 1GB per month. the other box come with 20TB per month
> included. at aws2 price that is $25200 per year + VAT

First of, the c3.8xlarge comes already with 640GB storage[1].
Well, do we really need 4TB of storage and huge amounts of bandwidth? And both
of those? And if we would a i2.4xlarge comes already with that. Do we even know
that document load/save cycling scales anywhere near 64 cores?

Best,

Bjoern

[1] https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/