minutes of in-person ESC call ...
michael.meeks at collabora.com
Wed Sep 3 06:46:40 PDT 2014
+ A room full of people in person.
* Completed Action Items:
+ ask UX advise wrt. wrench icons (revert or not ?)
[ now they're they're grey - they're ok (Mirek)
There are now two wrenches in writer next to each other (Caolan)
AI: Ask Bjoern to do a survey on this ]
+ get work / screenshots into the 4.4 feature list (Mentors ask students)
* Pending Action Items:
+ blog about the sad realities of web plugins (Bjoern)
[ not merged the patch either to remove them (Caolan)
we remove only the plug LibreOffice into a browser (Stephan/Miklos)
won't work in FF3 / wayland anyway (Caolan)
AI: merge the patch after the conference (Stephan) ]
+ open-source newer Synezip tests (Umesh)
[ Plan to run these on a server on the cloud service,
announce the results in the ESC meeting. ]
+ massage plan wrt. FOSDEM dev-rooms (Thorsten)
* Release Engineering update (Christian)
+ 4.2.6-security release announced
+ getting notifications of updates.
+ 4.3.1 released early too
+ build issues with the VM, requiring re-starts.
+ rest of release schedule un-affected
+ 4.3.2 RC1 - branch off at the conference.
+ 11 patches in gerrit waiting for review.
+ plan to branch & tag at hack-night tomorrow.
+ good to learn how that's done there.
+ 4.2.7 - due in week 40 - 29th Sept freeze.
+ Android Remote
* Crashtest update (Markus)
+ new results look a little bit better
+ 664 export crashers, 78 import crashers
+ few more import crashers, few fewer export.
* Wikihelp (Kendy)
+ getting mental traction
+ Need to merge Markus' extended tooltips
+ 3rd .po file - next to UI, normal help etc.
+ can we merge them all into the .ui files ? (Caolan)
+ as part of help - lots of incomplete translations (Kendy)
+ avoid annoying translators.
+ so have a new .po file, to avoid undue irritation.
+ done as a normal key/value file (Markus)
+ extended tooltips for non-dialogs too.
+ Improve conversion to wiki markup, to finally kill the
original XML description.
=> use wiki as the source, and have metadata in there.
in your browser.
+ so could ship off-line.
used by OpenStack / on-line help.
+ switch to a different way to translate them: not pootle
but the mediawiki translate toolkit - from mediawiki (?)
+ lots of benefits.
+ but help is full of conditional help / snippets (Andras)
+ 500k words ...
* Move to using gettext natively (Caolan)
+ .src format not needed much longer
+ could move to .po files
+ use the boost / gettext impl' at run-time
+ compile with gettext.
+ needs bootstrapping
+ would we be able to preserve context ? (Caolan)
+ more context is possible (Andras)
+ if we moved to _("foo") - would that work ?
* Student Intern Programs & mentoring
+ Semester of Code
+ no money / incentives etc.
+ selection process good for GSOC, rejecting people
who havn't contributed a patch (Caolan)
* Easy Hacks / tasks ?
+ dialog conversion: now complete
+ Docking windows need merging (Caolan)
+ scanbuild - vs. debugging version
+ can be used to find old style DBG_ASSERTs and
replace with 'asserts'
+ fixing validation issues pwrt. DOCX
+ necessary to un-block via Miklos' export fix:
+ fast sax writer should ideally has a
mechanism to mark a start & end, and sort
elements according to a pre-defined order.
+ crash fixes
+ running the crash-tester though asan should find a lot.
+ bite-sized distribution across tinder-boxen - student
+ Coverity - not really suitable for easy hacks (Caolan)
+ remaining, un-checked return codes / exception foo
+ UX tweaks
+ thoughts of collecting them on redmine
+ replace chunks of basegfx with glm
+ nicer co-ordinate / matrix stuff there
+ uses float not double, header based library
+ basic types / algorithms etc.
+ may cause some merging issues (Thorsten)
+ a feature ? (Moggi)
+ VCL all integer based, hence ratios etc. (Thorsten)
+ so no impact on basegfx.
+ performance / profiling bits
+ UNO constructors
+ still more to be done - helps size - 500x or so.
* Certification Committee (Stephan/Bjoern/Kendy)
+ waiting until ~September after the conf.
* UX update (Mirek)
+ starting to use RedMine instead of the design mailing list
+ using it to track issues that have an implementor
+ migrating some issues from bugzilla -> RedMine
in this case.
+ what is RedMine ? (Tor)
+ like a project management thing; allows attachments etc.
+ nicer to work through than mailing lists
+ can follow using E-mail too
+ can watch the forum etc.
+ trialing it for a month
+ wait a week, any comments / concerns.
+ concerned wrt. double bug tracking (Bjoern)
+ please also update the see-also to cross-link.
+ just using it internally, with forums to discuss things
+ pages should cross-link
+ deprecating ux-advise too (Mirek)
+ The plan:
+ delete design & ux-advise lists.
+ a week to scream ...
+ Need to make this discoverable (Bjoern)
+ How about backup ? (Norbert)
+ a new interested person wrt. icon contributions
+ project ongoing to categorise icons
+ making them easier to edit / design etc.
+ if we notice a missing icon, how do we ask ? (Caolan)
+ ux-advise - can we ask there ? (Michael)
+ best to poke the forum (Mirek)
+ helps to ensure consistency: the same 'folder'
+ using the sheets for new tango icons
+ trying to encourage Sifr to use git not e-mail
+ done with rectangles with id & layers
+ would like real HiDPI icons (Kendy)
+ need for more people in the design team
+ as always.
+ new processes for design interation in the wiki too.
AI: + provide links (Mirek)
* Concern wrt. TDF disaster-recovery & backups (Norbert)
+ old lists / bugzilla replicated over the internet.
+ new stuff backed up but in same site (Cloph)
AI: + poke Alex wrt. off-site backup (Cloph)
* Hackfests (Bjoern)
+ Seattle 'Libre-Fest' (Robinson)
+ October 26, 2014
+ Bug-triaging/Intro-to-community event
+ Following SeaGL conference
+ Munich hack-fest (Jan-Marek):
+ will have a BSP come-together; if someone says they're coming
just show up etc.
+ November 21st-23rd, 2014
+ we should drop by with 2 or 3 developers, if possible
+ Toulouse Hackfest ...
+ Confirmed for Nov. 15-16th
+ more details: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Hackfest/Toulouse2014
+ Be great to have -really- easy easy hacks for devs (Bjoern)
* QA (Robinson)
+ as on Thursday.
* Lightning Talks (Kendy)
+ everyone needs one lightning talk - 2x sessions
+ 3 minutes long - see Kendy & give him slides.
* UX Update (Astron / Mirek)
* QA stats:
+153 -98 (+55 overall)
many thanks to the top bug squashers:
Maxim Monastirsky 9
Eike Rathke 7
Adolfo Jayme 6
Julien Nabet 6
Guo Jinxian 5
Jean-Baptiste Faure 5
Jay Philips 4
Caolán McNamara 4
Thomas Arnhold 4
* Open 4.4 MAB
+ 3/8 3/8 4/8 4/8 3/7 3/7 2/5 1/2 1/1
* Open 4.3 MAB
+ 12/54 13/53 14/52 14/50 11/47 14/47 14/45 19/43 10/32 6/27 5/24 5/22 3/20
22% 24% 26% 28% 23% 29% 33% 44% 31% 22% 20% 22% 15%
* Open 4.2 MAB
+ 86/252 82/245 83/244 83/243 84/236 85/235 82/229 81/222 76/215 74/212
34% 33% 34% 34% 35% 36% 35% 36% 35% 34%
* Bibisected bugs open: whiteboard 'bibsected'
+ 142/375 141/374 136/361 127/349 119/331 102/308 92/296 84/283
* all bugs tagged with 'regression'
+ 446(+11) bugs open of 2990(+15) total
* ~Component count net *
Writer - 133 (+10)
Spreadsheet - 79 (+1)
Crashes - 37 (+2)
Presentation - 28 (+0)
Libreoffice - 26 (+0)
UI - 24 (+0)
Database - 23 (-1)
Graphics - 23 (+0)
Borders - 20 (+1)
Filters - 15 (+0)
Drawing - 15 (+1)
Print / PDF - 12 (+0)
Chart - 8 (+0)
BASIC - 5 (+1)
Formula - 5 (+0)
Extensions - 5 (+0)
Linguistic - 4 (+1)
Installation - 4 (+0)
framework - 1 (-1)
sdk - 0 (+0)
Impress Remote - 0 (+?)
+ http://bit.ly/15mM2Yn - for devs ( no NEEDINFO / UNCONFIRMED )
michael.meeks at collabora.com <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot
More information about the LibreOffice