bibisect baseline (was: C++11)

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Mon Sep 15 02:22:11 PDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 09:45:06AM +0200, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> That implies new minimum requirements for the various toolchains,
> and we piggybacked on the research done by the LLVM team on this and
> settled on
>
>   Clang 3.1
>   GCC 4.7
>   MSVC 2012

In general, that sound fine for me. One thing that pops to my mind here is that
the longterm bibisect repository covering the range from mid-3.5 to currently
4.3 branchoff is build on the veritable Ubuntu 12.04 LTS -- which doesnt have
gcc-4.7 by default.

As the 4.3all repository is already 12GB by now, I would suggest to make a
clean split here, bump to a Ubuntu 14.04 baseline and start a new bibisect repo
series from there. The number of ancient regressions isnt that big anymore
(thanks to bibisect itself -- in part at least), so having a (smaller) 4.4
onwards repo, that does not include 4.3 and earlier likely makes sense. Should
the need arise, we keep around the 4.3all repo still.

@Robinson: Thoughts?

Best,

Bjoern