Ease maintenance of build-in help

Regina Henschel rb.henschel at t-online.de
Sun Aug 2 10:06:51 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I have started a new thread so that the problem is not hidden inside
other threads or in private mails.

First, is there consensus, that the current build-in help will be retained?

If not, then the following ideas are useless and starting would be waste
of time. In such case, please stop me immediately.

I collect here some ideas from some threads and mails:

Authors of help texts are allowed to start in ODF to discuss and
finalize the content and appearance of the intended help texts. There
should be a place in the repository to store such files. This way
authors did not need deep knowledge of the technical structure of
helpcontent2. The person who integrates the help texts into the build-in
help need not be the content author.

Improve the extension "HelpAuthoring" and fix its bugs. The extension
might be principally not suitable to generate the final version of a
help file, but it is useful as start, because it sets a lot of the
needed XML-elements and attributes automatically. The result might still
needs additions and corrections, but that is less work, than writing all
from scratch. Even if someone do not know all details about the help, he
can start and deliver a file, which other then can improve and integrate.

Provide a development section about the build-in help to the Wiki. It
should not only contain a tutorial about help authoring but in addition
a description how the current help works at all from a developer view,
and how it is actually structured.
We can start with the document "OOo2HelpAuthoring.pdf". The content has
to be revised and adapted and extended. For example the .mk files are
different than described in that document and the document describes the
possibilities of the help format, but not all details of the actual
realization.
Having it in the Wiki keeps such knowledge available, when a help expert
leaves the community. It can be adapted to future developments. Experts
of different areas can better work together to collect help knowledge in
one place, for example experts for "Help to Wiki" and experts for
"translating help".

It would ease work, when there would be a tool, that shows a .xhp file
the same way as it it shown in the help viewer, so that it is not needed
to build helpcontent2 every time when you test some changes in your way
to the final version. And authors who use "HelpAuthoring" need not be
able to build LibreOffice.

Kind regards
Regina