Fail to change idl files for getFiles refactoring

julien2412 serval2412 at yahoo.fr
Wed Aug 5 08:25:10 PDT 2015

sberg wrote
> On 08/02/2015 09:51 AM, julien2412 wrote:
>> Concerning getFiles refactoring, I'm trying to change some idl files, see
>> https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/17068/
>>
>> I don't know what to change for not having this error:
>> interface type com.sun.star.ui.dialogs.XFilePicker2 direct mandatory base
>> changed from com.sun.star.uno.XInterface to
>> com.sun.star.ui.dialogs.XFilePicker
>
> That's by design.  ;)  Published UNOIDL must never be changed
> incompatibly, so we have some mechanism built in to check that during
> the build.
>
> If there /is/ good reason to change published UNOIDL incompatibly:
>
> * Discuss somewhere visibly (e.g., here) why an incompatible change is
> indeed the best choice.
>
> * Flag the commit message with "[API CHANGE]".
>
> * Document the incompatible change in the release notes in the Wiki.
>
> * To get the built-time compatibility check to succeed, manually fix up
> ukdapi/type_reference/udkapi.idl and/or offapi/type_reference/offapi.idl.

Thank you for your feedback Stephan.

I'll change asap the patch to take into account:
- ukdapi/type_reference/udkapi.idl (I had just changed
offapi/type_reference/offapi.idl)
- commit message with [API CHANGE]

(and once the patch is accepted of course and only in this case :-), search
the release notes to update them)

For previous discussion about all this, see
http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Multiselection-needs-work-td4153207.html#a4154535

To sum up:
GetFiles (from XFilePicker.idl) was implemented in several ways according
env (gtk, kde, aqua...) for multiple selection part
Some implementation truncate he selection to 1 file, others put the path for
first element and add the different filenames

GetSelectedFiles (from XFilePicker2.idl) is, a priori (it should be
checked), well implemented for every env, it returns only the n selected
files with their full path.

So the goal is to migrate from GetFiles  to GetSelectedFiles

I made some changes (search "getFiles" in git history):
1) Describe and make GetFiles   deprecate
2) Began to change GetFiles for some envs to truncate to 1 file (so all the
implementations of GetFiles do the same)

It's only the beginning since, after these 2 points, every component using
"GetFiles" should be migrated to "GetSelectedFiles" (I'm not even sure that
these components could manage multiselection once they would retrieve a full
array of filenameswithpath)

Don't hesitate to put your remarks since there certainly must be some issues
I didn't think.

Julien