Ease maintenance of build-in help

Regina Henschel rb.henschel at t-online.de
Sat Aug 15 11:26:18 PDT 2015

Hi Oliver,

Olivier Hallot schrieb:
> Hi Regina, all
>
> On 02/08/2015 14:06, Regina Henschel wrote:

>> Provide a development section about the build-in help to the Wiki. It
>> should not only contain a tutorial about help authoring but in addition
>> a description how the current help works at all from a developer view,
>> and how it is actually structured.
>> We can start with the document "OOo2HelpAuthoring.pdf". The content has
>> to be revised and adapted and extended. For example the .mk files are
>> different than described in that document and the document describes the
>> possibilities of the help format, but not all details of the actual
>> realization.
>> Having it in the Wiki keeps such knowledge available, when a help expert
>> leaves the community. It can be adapted to future developments. Experts
>> of different areas can better work together to collect help knowledge in
>> one place, for example experts for "Help to Wiki" and experts for
>> "translating help".
>
> Do we have a tool to convert such pdf to mediawiki? I found a good one
> to convert to html5 but all my attemps to get mediawiki turns out to be
> very manual... If we can get the original odf/swx, that will be nice to
> try with our internal mediawiki export.
>
> Also, are we allowed to upload this document and edit it in a wiki? It
> is under Public document License and by section 2 of PDL, it looks like
> we can... but IANAL.
> http://www.openoffice.org/licenses/PDL.html

I think too, that providing the original document for download is
allowed and we should do it as reference. But I think, we should not try
to use it directly in the Wiki, because the license has a strict rule,
how to handle information about authors which can easily be broken when
free Wiki editing is possible. In addition this rules make it difficult
to arrange the content on different pages.

I think, we need to newly write the content.

Kind regards
Regina