Java sidebar extensions and LibreOffice

fma fma3110 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 00:15:51 PST 2015

Hi all,
I need to create a sidebar extension for LibreOffice users and it must be
Java-based.
My starting point was the OpenOffice Wiki page for sidebar developers:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Sidebar_for_Developers
Unfortunately, the sample code on the wiki page for the Analog Clock
Extension works fine for OpenOffice 4.1.1 but the UI is not shown on
LibreOffice 4.4.

Steps to reproduce the problem:

- download the Analog Clock Extension (direct link:
http://people.apache.org/~af/clock/AnalogClock.oxt ; source code:
http://people.apache.org/~af/clock/AnalogClock.zip )

- in the package, change the dependencies tag in description.xml file to
install the extension on LibreOffice 4.4:

original dependencies tag content:
 / <OpenOffice.org-minimal-version value="4.0" d:name="Apache OpenOffice"/>/

new dependencies tag content:
/ <OpenOffice.org-maximal-version value="4.x" dep:name="OpenOffice.org 4.x"
dep:OpenOffice.org-minimal-version="4.0"/>/

- install the extension on LibreOffice (enable Java Runtime Environment if
needed)

- after restarting LibreOffice, you will see the icon of the new sidebar
panel just below the others, but no interface is shown when clicking on it
(i.e. the analog clock and also its container panel are not visible)

I gave a look to the source code but with no luck: can someone give me a
hint about the possible cause of the problem?

Thanks in advance and best regards.